The Morris County Board of Freeholders has unanimously approved county preservation grants totaling $1.96 million for six 2019 open space projects, totaling 164 acres located in six Morris County towns.
This includes $400,000 for Jefferson for the Treadwell – Russia Brook Headwaters and $28,000 for Roxbury and the Veterans Park Addition.
Funding for the projects will come from the voter approved county preservation trust fund, generated by a special county tax. The recommended awards range from $28,000 to $684,900.
“As we celebrate 25 years of the county’s Open Space Trust Fund, this Freeholder Board and boards who have preceded us recognize that the deliberate and thoughtful preservation of open space throughout the County is part of what makes Morris County a great place to live, work, play and raise a family,’’ said Freeholder Stephen Shaw.
Jefferson: Treadwell – Russia Brook Headwaters
These forested properties contain steep, rocky slopes and are surrounded by lands of Mahlon Dickerson Reservation, the largest park of the Morris County Park Commission. The lands contain the headwaters of Russia Brook, which drains to the Rockaway River. The area provides potential habitat for numerous species of concern and has a high ecological integrity. Preservation would expand the parkland and protect water quality. The lands will be owned and managed by the Park Commission upon acquisition and allow the expansion of trails.
Veterans Park Addition
- Located off Emmans Road near the Mount Olive border, this upland forest is adjacent to Veterans Memorial Park. The wooded property is key to connecting two of Roxbury’s open space tracts via a trail system.
The terrain and proximity to existing trails in Veterans Park will enable a trail connection from the park to Emmans Greenway located to the south
The Open Space grant program has helped preserve 12,542 acres in 36 of the county’s 39 towns since the awarding of grants started in 1994. Morris County voters approved the program in November 1992.
Projects receiving grants include:
- Chester Township, Black River Fields, 45 acres, $416,250
- Denville, AMCHU Property, 5.43 acres, $159,000
- Jefferson Township, Treadwell Tract, 78 acres, $400,000
- Morris Township, ValleVue Farm, 7.94 acres, $684,900
- Mt. Olive, Turkey Brook Extension, 17.24 acres, $275,000
- Roxbury Township, Veterans Park Addition, 10.5 acres, $28,000
For details on each project visit https://planning.morriscountynj.gov/divisions/prestrust/openspace/
Comments powered by CComment