Jefferson Building Department

Jefferson Building Department
Jefferson Building Department
  • Business Details
  • Map


Thomas Mahoney, Construction Official and Building Inspector, (973) 208-6110 
     Office hours:  9 a.m.-12 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday
     Inspection hours:  12 p.m.-4 p.m. (out of office)
     Check for availability Wednesday and Friday around lunchtime.

Domenick Carnevale, Plumbing Inspector and Subcode Official, (973) 208-6110
      Inspection hours:  after 3 p.m.
      Tuesday and Thursday only
Bill Patterson, Fire Inspector, (973) 208-6114
     Inspection hours: mornings
     Monday, Wednesday, Friday
Joseph Colianni, Electrical Inspector and Subcode Official, 973-208-3624
     Inspections hours: after 9:30 a.m.
     Hours: Tuesday, Thursday
Andy Diamond -- 973-208-6112, or

Jeff Elam, 973-208-6140 or

Any documents in bold print are provided by the Building Department. Everything else listed must be provided by the applicant (i.e. surveys, construction plans and brochures) as required by the Building Department.


Mechanical permits are for residential uses only. Used for oil tank installation/removal, air conditioning systems (with electric subcode), water heater, boiler, furnace, gas tanks, etc.  Water heaters and hot water boilers can also be put on plumbing permits.


Electrical & Plumbing work may be done by the homeowner if they live in the house. If they rent the property, or if the property is commercial, they must hire licensed contractors. If they hire electricians or plumbers, the licensed electrical/plumbing contractor must sign and seal the electrical or plumbing subcode applications and provide their license numbers. Construction work, etc. can be performed by homeowners.


The Identification, Technical Site Data, and Cost of Work must be filled out on all applications. Applicant must provide Block & Lot (available in blue book on counte in Tax Assessor's office, tax office, or on a tax or utility bill). Applications must be appropriately signed, as well as the inside cover of the CPA folder.


Plans drawn by an architect or engineer MUST BE SEALED AND SIGNED by the professional. Two sealed copies are required. One will be returned upon issuance of permit. Homeowners may draw plans for their own house. Sealed professional plans are required for commercial projects.


Documents required for permit applications:

ADDITIONBuilding Subcode application

                     Electrical Subcode application

                      Plumbing Subcode application (only for plumbing/heating)

                      Fire Subcode application (only for smoke detectors for new bedrooms)

                      Application for Certificate

                      Construction Permit & CPA folder

                       Survey showing addition & setbacks to property lines

                       (2) sets of construction plans by homeowner or architect only


DECKS:         Building Subcode application

                        Application for Certificate

                        Construction Permit & CPA folder

                        Information sheet on decks

                        Survey showing location of deck

                        (2) copies of construction drawings, drawn by homeowner


GARAGE:       Detached garage, same application & guidelines as for shed.
                        Attached garage, treat as addition. Needs electrical permit. Plumbing and fire usually not required.


NEW HOME:   Give same application as for addition, with all subcodes. Have applicant call with questions.
                         Drive and Grade applications required for new homes on empty lots (not for reconstruction).


POOLS:           Building Subcode application

                        Electrical Subcode application

                         Plumbing Subcode application required for pool drains

                        Plumbing or Mechanical Subcode application, if the pool will be heated

                        Application for Certificate

                        Construction Permit & CPA folder

                        Brochures for pool, filter & pump

                        Engineer certification required for inground pools
                        Pools must be in rear yard only, 10 ft.from house, 6 ft. from each property lines. Survey must
                        show pool and proposed fence. Surface surrounding pool must be declared (ex. pavers,
                        concrete, etc) for bonding purposes. Homeowners performing their own electrical
                        work for pools must provide a wiring diagram.


ROOF/             Building Subcode application
SIDING:          Construction Permit & CPA folder

                        Permits issued same day if for a residential property.


SHED:            Permits for sheds are only required if shed is more than 100 sq. ft.
                       Same permit package required as for deck. If shed is pre-fabricated, a brochure instead
                       of construction plans is okay. A survey showing shed location is still required.
                       All sheds must be located in rear yard, 5' from property lines, 10' from house.
                       Maximum 22' high. Foundation plans are required if the shed is larger than 200 sq. ft.


TANKS:         Mechanical Subcode for residential use only. Install & demo can be done on the same application
done by the same contractor. Two different contractors require two different application.
Construction Permit & CPA folder



How can I pay for my permit? Please note that payments for permits are taken by cash, check, or money order only. We do not accept credit cards.

ZONING: Andy Diamond, 973-208-6112.

Code Enforcement Complaints: Andy Diamond, 973-208-3637.

Septic Systems and Wells, Health Department, 973-208-6121 or 973-208-6124.

Resale of home: no Certificate of Occupancy is required. The fire marshal performs smoke detector inspections. Call 973-208-6114 for an appointment. The Building Department does not do anything (inspections, certificates, etc.) for resale of a home. Letters stating no Certificate of Occupancy is required are available for $10. Block, Lot and Address must be provided.

Map Directions

Join us on Facebook

Upcoming Events